Sunday, February 4, 2024

Sleep

 

“Now your boys are out of Gaza you must be sleeping better at night.”

That was what someone said to me Friday. How I wish I could have answered her in the affirmative, but I couldn’t. The war is far from over.

My neighbor down the hill is counting 120 days since her son was taken captive. 120 days!!! That means 2800 hours, 172,800 minutes to wonder if he is able to eat or sleep, if he is well or injured, if he knows she is longing, praying, and doing all she can to bring him home. Multiply that by all the other parents, siblings, and children who have loved ones held hostage.

Yesterday was the ninth Shabbat when I heard another neighbor of mine reciting Kaddish for his son who fell in Gaza. It tears at my heart every time I hear him. My boys may be out but there are so many soldiers still there. Just yesterday Shimon Yehoshua Asulin, aged 24, was killed in Gaza, making him the 225th soldier to fall. Even though I did not know him, I feel sorrow.

Hotels are full of evacuees who cannot go home. Everyone seems to think the war will start on the northern front soon. Many reservists have already received call-up orders for the near future. Someone told me I should stock up on long underwear for my boys. It’s cold in the north.

I know I’m not a warrior. I’m not even a demonstrator. However, I need to do my part to win this war. My weapons are my prayers, mitzvot, acts of kindness, and trying to bring peace with apologies and forgiveness.

My hope is that the Almighty will take notice of my efforts, and those of all my compatriots. I pray that He will judge them favorably and, in their merit, give our precious soldiers the ability to totally defeat the evil of Hamas. Once that occurs, then I should be able to sleep well. May it happen quickly!

No comments: