Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Decompress

 

Yesterday I saw my son. Even though he’s out of Gaza  he isn’t out of his uniform. There’s a lot to take care of- clean up his tank, put away equipment, and, most important, decompress. It’s been two very difficult months- seeing friends killed, dodging bullets, eating poorly and sleeping even more poorly.

This morning I realized I also need to decompress and went for a long walk. With each step I felt more and more of the tension leave my body. Today I didn’t jump for the phone every time I heard a message come in. When it rang, I didn’t catch my breath hoping it might be one of my soldiers. Nonetheless, I’m quite concerned about what’s happening.

Most of the reserve soldiers are being released now but there are plenty of troops remaining in Gaza. The war is not over. The hostages have not been released. The evacuees are not able to go home. The rockets continue. Many of the tunnels are still in place.

More than once, my son made ominous references to the fact he’s home until he needs to go north. I realize that I have to appreciate the moments that my boys are not in battle and gather my strength for what the future holds.  Meanwhile, I keep praying. For all the hostages. All the soldiers. All the injured. All the evacuees. All of us.  

No comments: