Monday, March 18, 2019

They Won’t break Us: Fifteen Pizzas



In the aftermath of a terror attack there’s nothing I’d like to do more than sit on the floor and cry. Usually I don’t because I believe we can’t let our enemies break us. So, yesterday following the shootings at the Ariel junction, twenty kilometers from my house, I put my worries and concerns on the side, wore my happy face, and made my way to my granddaughter’s party in honor of her third birthday.

It was a merry affair and amid celebrating the birthday girl’s aunt announced that her village, sixteen kilometers west of Ariel, was hosting about one hundred soldiers, all deployed to search for the terrorist still at large. Now the Israel Defense Force feeds its soldiers well but for the most part these soldiers are eighteen or nineteen-year-old youths who are still growing. They work hard protecting us and we like to show our appreciation with a bit of spoiling.

My son-in-law suggested that we treat them with meat but that was deemed impractical.  It was decided that pizza was the best choice and I handed my daughter a hundred shekel note, enough with the pizza store’s discount to buy three big pizzas. The birthday girl’s other grandmother matched my donation and with WhatsApp to her village my daughter soon had enough to order fifteen large pizzas plus all kinds of other snacks.

In the next-to-the-last chapter of psalms the last three verses read: To do vengeance among the nations (that try to destroy us), rebukes among the regimes. To bind their kings with chains, their nobles with iron shackles. To execute upon them judgement that was written, a splendor that will be for all the devout ones.

Many commentators on these verses state that the best retaliation we can take on our enemies is by continuing to learn and practice Torah. As we sat at the birthday party yesterday and quickly raised money to treat our soldiers who were doing their best to fight our enemy, I felt we were truly doing our revenge. Our enemies won’t break us!

Some of the food for the soldiers

Blessed is the Perfect Judge: Achiad Ehud ben Carmit has succumbed to his wounds. May his memory be for a blessing and may HaShem avenge his murder.


No comments: