Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Thank You HaShem

courtesy of babycarecombodia


In response to various comments on my recent short story, For the Good of My Grandsons, I want to make it clear that it’s a work of fiction inspired by several true incidents.

My husband does have whooping cough and we had several sleep-deprived nights but, thankfully, never went to the hospital. He’s under the doctor’s care and recovering.

There are couples who do not give their children vaccinations. Being close with one of the nurses dealing with babies I hear all sorts of stories, without names or distinguishing characteristics mentioned. Some parents bring their child, sick and contagious with measles, to the store, synagogue, and playground. Others have let their child travel on public transportation even though they know that child has siblings hospitalized with measles. The lack of responsibility is horrifying.

Lately I’ve seen displays of public shaming on the internet which leave me feeling unsettled. One reaction to my story was disappointment that Mimi apologized, so-to-speak, to her daughter instead of the other way around. In my mind someone who would embarrass her mother on Facebook wouldn’t be very quick to say she’s sorry.

In our society in which tolerance has become a god of sorts it's important to remember that there are many like Dan who have been traumatized by personal experiences. It's because of their fears they don't inoculate their children. I cannot condone them but I can try to understand where they're coming from.

Like Mimi I sent a letter to a politician and letter to the editor. Unlike her, though, I got no response and my letter wasn’t published. I’m not giving up yet. In Israel there are no laws mandating that children need inoculations for entrance into any educational institution, public or private. I'd like to see that change.

In closing I want to quote my friend, Rene Moskovitz: If people truly love their children and care about their health and welfare and those around them, they will vaccinate their children and stop believing "fake news". It is a gift from Hashem that we now have the medical know-how and technology to prevent horrible diseases, we should accept this and say Thank You Hashem!
                                                                   

No comments: