Wednesday, July 10, 2024

We Won't Run Away

 Yesterday evening I received a cryptic message from my youngest son who lives in the Golan. We’re okay. It had been a while since I’d checked the news, but I didn’t need to be a rocket scientist to understand things were not good in the north. Not wasting my time looking at the internet I called my son.

“Lots of rockets?” I asked.
“There’s always rockets,” he answered. “This time two people were killed. “
He had no more information for me, assured me he and his family were okay, and we told each other, “I love you”.
He’s come home from Gaza to have rockets on his doorstep. A while back we suggested that maybe he should bring his family to a “safer” location. His answer: My parents taught me not to run away.
He’s right. We have only one tiny country and if we start abandoning parts of it what will be left. Besides, who’s to say where will be safer tomorrow.
After talking to him I did check the news. Forty rockets had been fired at northern Israel and two killed. Today it was announced the murdered were Noa and Nir Barnes, pictured here, from Kibbutz Ortal. They leave behind three children. May their family and loved ones be comforted among the mourners of Zion.

No comments: