Sunday, January 14, 2024

A True Herione

 

How did my parent’s generation handle six years of World War Two? After one hundred days of this war I feel stretched to my limit. My father, z’l, used to say you can get used to anything, even hanging, if you hang long enough. Well, I’m getting used to things I don’t want to get used to.

Before I can start feeling too sorry for myself, though, I think about the conversation I had with my daughter last week. I think she’s a real heroine. She doesn’t agree. Yes, having a husband stationed is Gaza is a true challenge, but that’s the deck she was dealt. She contends this war is hard for everyone, those from the south, the ones from the north, the victims of Simchat Torah, the bereaved families, the families of the hostages, all of us.

She asserts that we’re all in the same boat, although everyone’s vessel is different. For example, her pregnant neighbor has two little children and a husband in the army stationed in a “safer” place. My daughter has a kindergarten and a second grader who are relatively independent. Sitting at the playground together the two women couldn’t decide whose lot was harder. They both agreed that this not a competition.

They’re right. We all have to do our part trying not to feel sorry for ourselves. I still think my daughter, my daughter-in-law, and the wives of all the soldiers are true heroines. Maybe, if I stay positive and supportive, I can be a heroine too.

No comments: