Tuesday, September 1, 2020

 

The Question of the High Holy Days

Eighty-one years ago, on the 17th of Elul, the 1st of September 1939, the Nazis invaded Poland. Lives of thousands of Jews were thrown into turmoil and among their many concerns was the question of the High Holy Days. Would they be able to go to their synagogues like every year? Would their synagogues still be standing? Would they be in their homes? Would they be alive? 

Six years later the nightmare ended and millions were no longer in the land of the living. Many were so badly injured in body and soul that they had no desire to ever return to the synagogue. Others, though, were able to reboot their faith and as they rebuilt their lives also rebuilt synagogues. Now their children, great-grandchildren, and great-great-grandchildren are concerned about the question of the High Holy Days.

Blessedly, there are no virulent anti-Semites threatening us with annihilation now. Rather, there is a miniscule virus that is threatening the world indiscriminate of religion, race, or nationality.  Many experts believe the best way to deal with this virus is social distancing and that has been enforced to various degrees of strictness in most countries throughout the world. Obviously it affects all the places of worship.

Here in Israel, the synagogues have been open to a limited number of worshippers since May. Some join outdoor services that can accommodate more participants. Others continue to pray privately in their own homes. As the new year draws near, however, there are many who want to return to their normal spot in their synagogue and their synagogue cannot accommodate everyone.

Plans and contingency plans, for we all know that we could end up being in a general close-down again, are being discussed. With these discussions I realize the Rosh Hashana I will be observing this year will be different that any other Rosh Hashana I’ve ever experienced.  What am I supposed to learn from this? Of course, I can never know for sure what messages HaShem is sending me but I can conjecture.

In years past I’ve depended on the cantor to inspire my prayers. Perhaps I should be turning inward more and inspiring myself.

In years past I’ve had MY seat in the synagogue. Perhaps I should be flexible enough to feel comfortable in any spot.

In years past I’ve enjoyed the emotional support of my neighbors seated around me in the synagogue. Perhaps I should be focusing on the Almighty being near me.

In years past I’ve always felt I was in control. Perhaps it is time for me to truly internalize that I can have plans, make the effort to carry them out but to know that HaShem is in charge. It’s all from Him.  

This year, as my friend, Sara, has pointed out, on the second day of Rosh Hashana shofars will be blown all over the world, many of them outside, many of them at the same time. Will they herald the coming of true redemption? That’s what our prayers, be they inside or out, alone or with a congregation, are all about.

Let’s remember the Jews of Europe eighty-one years ago. Let’s be thankful that the Jewish people still survive. Let’s pray with all our hearts. Let’s pray that next year Corona will be history and we’ll be able to worship at the Holy Temple in Jerusalem.

 



My novel, Growing With My Cousin, a good summer read, is available at Jewish bookstores and on line at  http://www.feldheim.com/growing-with-my-cousin.html or

https://www.amazon.com/Growing-Cousin-Ester-Katz-Silvers/dp/194635113X/ 

No comments: