Friday, September 4, 2020

A Glorious Chapter


It was my first year living in Shilo and as I listened to the Haftorah I felt such a thrill.

And the man went up from his city from appointed time to appointed time to sacrifice to the Lord of Hosts in SHILO… Samuel 1, Chapter 1, verse 3.

I was living in Shilo! Less than ten years earlier my village was reestablished in the same place we were reading about in synagogues all over the world on the first day of Rosh Hashana.

That thrill I felt then continues to overwhelm me time and again. As I listen to the Torah readings that mention Beit El, Elon Moreh, and Hevron, and other places that I’ve been to, the history of my people comes alive for me. As I study the prophets and read about Ein Gedi and Kiryat Yearim and more, I feel a sense of pride that I know where these places are located and how they actually look. This Shabbat as the Torah portion is being read I will probably have another thrill.

Deuteronomy, Chapter 11, verse 29 instructs: And when that HaShem, your G-d, will bring you into the Land to which you will come there to possess it and you shall give the blessings on Mount Gerizim and the curses on Mount Eval.  This commandment is expanded on in Chapter 27, verses 11-14. Moses instructs the people to divide themselves into two groups after coming into the land. Half the tribes will stand on Mount Gerizim and the other half will stand on Mount Eval. In between will be the tribe of Levi. As G-d’s emissaries the Levis will recite the blessing that will follow if the Jewish people adhere to the Torah and the curses if they do not. Those atop Mount Gerizim will answer amen to the blessings and those on Mount Eval need to answer amen to the curses. It must have been a most moving ritual for those who witnessed it.

On a clear day, I can view both of those hilltops from my street. And I’ve been to Mount Gerizim, once for a grandchild’s school party and another time for a grandson’s brit celebration.

It’s a heady feeling to know that I’ve come into the Land, been privileged to stay, and to become familiar with so many spots from our history. It’s my prayer that my actions here will help bring blessings and not curses upon us. It’s my belief that as I’m building the Land I’m laying the foundation for the most glorious chapter of our history. I pray that my conviction will indeed become reality speedily in our times.   

 



My novel, Growing With My Cousin, a good holiday read, is available at Jewish bookstores and on line at  http://www.feldheim.com/growing-with-my-cousin.html or

https://www.amazon.com/Growing-Cousin-Ester-Katz-Silvers/dp/194635113X/ 

 

 

 

 

No comments: