Sunday, April 5, 2020

I’m Pregnant but It’s Not My Baby



So my daughter informed me almost nine months ago. Although it sounded like a riddle there was a simple explanation for her statement. She, along with her husband’s support, had decided to be a surrogate mother for a couple who was unable to have a child under normal circumstances.

Her siblings were thrilled with her news from the very beginning. My husband didn’t take long to embrace the idea of the lovingkindness she was doing for complete strangers. I was the last to come around. Pregnancies can be fraught with danger and I was concerned about my daughter’s health, both physical and emotional.

She assured me that she’d been carefully screened before even being considered a candidate to surrogate. My daughter and her husband had to meet with rabbis, doctors, and psychologists. They passed their interviews with flying colors and she was due to give birth sometime between Purim and Pesach.

As the pregnancy progressed I began to appreciate her altruistic motives. My prayers were full of pleas for her health, as well as the health of the unborn baby. A baby who would not be my grandchild but with whom I felt a connection of sorts.

As Purim ended my prayers began including supplications for a healthy labor and delivery for my daughter. And then the seriousness of the corona virus began to enter my consciousness. I yearned for the birth to be behind her. At the same time I wanted the epidemic over before she needed to go to the hospital.

No one stays pregnant forever. My daughter’s blood pressure shot up and it was decided to induce labor. It was long and hard but at the end she delivered a healthy baby boy. The baby’s father was at the hospital waiting to meet his son. The mother, being at high risk for corona, was waiting at home.

As my daughter’s blood pressure stabilized she was discharged from the hospital just twenty-four hours after giving birth.  The baby met his mother the following day.
Now my daughter is recuperating at home with her husband and children, a mere thirty-five-minute, easy drive away from me. If we were in normal times I would be visiting her bringing a hug, kiss, and some sort of present. But we aren’t in normal times. And so, like so many others, I need to make do with giving virtual hugs and kisses via WhatsApp and zoom. Someday soon, I pray, I'll be able to hug and kiss her in person. I pray we’ll all be able to embrace our loved ones without fear or hesitation. I pray that day will come very quickly.



My novel, Growing With My Cousin, is available  on line at  http://www.feldheim.com/growing-with-my-cousin.html or https://www.amazon.com/Growing-Cousin-Ester-Katz-Silvers/dp/194635113X

1 comment:

Batya said...

A great mitzvah for sure.
My niece as twins, a boy and a girl, because someone was willing to lend a womb. In this case they did pay a lot of money, but nothing is more valuable but children. They had been married a very long time.