Thursday, December 5, 2019

The Ultimate Protector


We’ve all heard the story of a wealthy man visiting a rough neighborhood and being told by one of the low-lifes hanging out that he’d guard the rich guy’s car for just a small fee. In other words, if the visitor didn’t want his auto vandalized, he’d better pay up.


I never had an experience like that, probably because I always tried to avoid rough neighborhoods. Now, though, I can be blackmailed by a stranger without even leaving my house. 

I’m used to all sorts of advertisements appearing on my computer screen. After I checked out a bed and breakfast in the Golan I was inundated with notices of vacation rentals all over Israel. When I ordered a novel from Amazon I received dozens of suggestions of similar books. These commercials aren’t really invasive and I have no trouble ignoring them.

What is invasive, though, is the pop-ups with risqué photos that block part of my computer screen. As many times as I clicked to close them, they kept returning. And then I began getting offers for another virus protection since the extortionist claimed mine was no longer working.

I’m proud to say I didn’t fall for the scam. I’m grateful to state that my husband worked out how to get rid of them. In the process, though, he had to close down several of my sites and I was without Facebook and WhatsApp for a couple of days. Of course, I survived and we’ve now installed a device to block advertisements.

So I’m safe from the blackmailers, for a while, until they discover how to go around my latest protective plan. Sadly, it seems con artists are part of life. Why did I have to be one of the targets? I’ll probably never know for sure but I have learned a lesson from my experience. I can try to protect myself with all kinds of programs but the bottom line is that HaShem is in charge. He’s my Ultimate Protector.






My novel, Growing With My Cousin, a good winter read, is available at Jewish bookstores and on line at  http://www.feldheim.com/growing-with-my-cousin.html or https://www.amazon.com/Growing-Cousin-Ester-Katz-Silvers/dp/194635113X/

No comments: