Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Happy Birthday To Me



Two weeks ago things went haywire on my computer. The upshot was that I couldn’t add any new articles to this blog. And I had an article I really wanted to share. After trying this and that in vain I settled for posting Happy Birthday To Me on Facebook. It wasn’t an optimal solution and I continued to try to make my computer act the way it should but remained unsuccessful. Finally, today I sent for the marines, or rather my husband. Thankfully, being a patient person who reads instructions carefully, he was able to resurrect my connection to It’s All From HaShem.

Here’s my article, rather late, but I hope still relevant. 


Happy Birthday To Me

Last week I turned sixty-six. To reach more than six decades in the twenty-first century is not the wonder it once was. What is amazing to me, though, is the fact that now I can say I’ve lived half my life in the Holy Land. Thirty-three years ago I moved to a new country with my husband and young children. I didn’t know very many people, the language was hard, and the customs and food strange. With time I acclimated. Now I’m a grandmother with extended family, friends, role-models, and strong roots here.

Last week was a hard week for Israel. Rockets, red alerts, cancelled schools, evacuated hospitals, and injuries were the realities of my brethren in firing distance from Gaza. This week will mark the twenty-eighth anniversary of the murder of my neighbor, Rachela Druk. She was the first of so many who were part of my life murdered by Arab terror.

One might wonder why I am so proud to have spent half of my life in a place beset with so many problems. If war and terror are not enough there’s the fact that we’re struggling for the second time in less than a year to form a government. Yet, even with all the challenges, I’m thankful to live in the only Jewish state in the world.

It’s my homeland. It’s the place where I never have to hide who I am. It’s the land that G-d commanded me to live in. What a beautiful present He gave me. I’m so proud to state I’ve spent half my life here. With HaShem’s blessings I’ll be here for many more years.



No comments: