Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Tipping the Scales



Already at the beginning of the week the predictions began. Wednesday afternoon would bring a fierce storm with wind, rain, hail, and in the higher altitudes snow. We must be prepared with back-up heat, a transistor radio, batteries, candles, matches, extra blankets, warm clothing, and plenty of food. Most likely there would be no school on Thursday. Travelling was discouraged.

Call it denial or skepticism but I didn’t really believe we’d get snow. I refused to be worked up into a frenzy and didn’t cancel my plans to work the hotline in Jerusalem Thursday morning. Wednesday afternoon, though, as the wind, rain, and hail started just as predicted I began to wonder. Each time the electricity flickered I held my breath, but it did nothing more than flicker and I was able to breath normally. Later there were some snow flurries and as I fell asleep I wondered what the morning would bring.

I awoke to the electricity still intact, the sun shining, and a small patch of white, probably from the hail, in my back yard. 
There would be no problem traveling the roads. I was thankful. I was also thankful that we were having a very wet, but kind winter.

Every year before Rosh Hashana the school children are taught and the adults reminded that we should look at ourselves as possessing an equal number of good and bad deeds. Just one more sin could tip the scale and have me signed in the Book of Death.  The opposite could happen with a virtuous act. So it is with us as a nation.

Rainfall is a gift from the Almighty. As it says in the second paragraph of Shema: And it will be if you will listen to My commandments that I command to you today to love HaShem your G-d, to serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul then I will give you rain for your land in its proper time…

For the last five years we’ve been suffering from drought in Israel. This winter things have been different. Almost every week we’ve received rain, a gentle rain without damage. The Kinneret is filling up. Dry stream beds are now flowing.
Shilo Stream
Mt. Hermon is full of snow which will eventually melt and bolster our water sources.
Ski lift on Mt. Hermon

What is different about this year and the previous five? It must be that somewhere, someone tipped the scale with a good deed. And who is this someone? It could have been anyone, you or me. Since we don’t know who it is we all have the responsibility to keep working and trying to add that one more good deed, that good deed that will totally tip the scale and bring the Redemption.



No comments: