Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Is It Possible?

 

At our table this past Shabbat we discussed how so many of our historical tragedies were followed by positive growth. Prime example is after our servitude in Egypt we received the Torah. Also following the destruction of the Holy Temple, the Babylonian Talmud was compiled despite the exile. Jumping ahead to modern history we all know that the establishment of the State of Israel came on the heels of the Holocaust. Thirty years later the Yom Kippur War was the impetus for the settlement in Judea and Samaria.

What, we wondered, would be the aftermath of the horrible Simchat Torah massacre and subsequent war? We let our imaginations flow and our favorite vision was the rebuilding of the Holy Temple.

Who knows? As I’ve written before I often marvel during my visits to the Kotel that my grandparents couldn’t even dream of making it to that spot and here I am. Is it so improbable that my grandchildren will go to the Holy Temple remembering how their grandmother once longed for the opportunity?

Anything is possible if we work and pray hard enough.

No comments: