Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Let's Try

 

Today, on the 144th day of the war, I stood at the Kotel and remembered how the place was once called the Wailing Wall. How apt that name has become again. Ever since the war began, when I pray there my sobs join those of our ancestors throughout the centuries. I’d wager my prayers are not all that different than theirs were. Pleas for an end to the anti-Semitism and violence, yearning for full redemption, longing for the Third Holy Temple. Oy!!!

Yet, today, as I stood in front of the stones, I wondered how I can possibly ask the Almighty to make peace for us when we are not peaceful with each other. If there was ever a time to let go of our grudges and resentments for one another it is now. Now is the time to give the benefit of the doubt and judge favorably.  Can we do it? We can try and then maybe, just maybe, G-d will do the same for us. It’s worth the effort. Isn’t it?

No comments: