Thursday, November 12, 2020

Not a Coincidence

 



This week holds three special dates, the secular anniversary of the Kristallnacht, American Veterans Day, and, on a personal note, my father’s 13th yahrzeit*.

 I find that very meaningful. Although my father had already escaped Nazi Germany before November 9th, 1938, the night of Broken Glass, the organized pogrom across Germany, it had a profound impact on him. Just as impactful was serving in the United States Army as a Ritchie Boy. His experiences helped shape my life.

Recently, while doing research for another book, I learned that during World War Two, Jewish soldiers serving in Europe were offered the option to have the H (Hebrew) removed from their dog tags, in case they were captured by the Nazis. Intrigued by this discovery I searched out my father’s metal disk. The H was still there, as strong as when it was originally stamped upon his label. How I wish I could have asked my father what made him decide to keep the H. I can only imagine what his thought process was.

I’m proud of that H and I’m proud of my father. His family, friends, and community all knew what an impact his childhood in Germany and later going back there as a conquering soldier had on his life. He taught me to know who I am and where I came from. He taught me to serve others with honor. He taught me to try to be a good person and proud Jew. His memory is indeed a blessing.   

*anniversary of a death



My novel, Growing With My Cousin, a good winter read, is available at Jewish bookstores and on line at https://mosaicapress.com/product/growing-with-my-cousin-a-tale-of-love-life-and-land/ or  http://www.feldheim.com/growing-with-my-cousin.html or https://www.amazon.com/Growing-Cousin-Ester-Katz-Silvers/dp/194635113X/ or from my home.

 

2 comments:

Batya said...

Hamakom yinachem.
Very special having him in the neighborhood.

Ester said...

Thank you, it was also when your father was here.