Monday, October 5, 2020

Sukkot: Our Time of Happiness


How can I be happy this year? I can’t have guests in my Sukkah. I can’t see most of my children and grandchildren. I can’t go to the Kotel. I can’t tour my lovely country. I can’t, I can’t, I can’t.

While going down this negative path of thoughts, I suddenly remembered Sukkot ten years earlier when my friend, Yehudit Spatz, z’’l, died on the eve of the holiday. How in the world, I wondered then, would I be able to recite Praise G-d because He is good, His kindness endures forever, an integral part of the Sukkot prayers?

It was only by changing my attitude that I was able to do so. Instead of concentrating on her death I focused on all the blessings she’d had throughout her life. Remembering them I was able to come around and praise HaShem sincerely.

And so it is now. Instead of the “I can’ts” I’m focusing on the “I haves”. I have food, clothing, shelter, and so much more. Many in the world would be thrilled to have a fraction of what I have. And so, while I praise G-d with all my heart, I beg and plead with him to put an end to Covid 19 and, at the same time, bless all of the world with food, clothing, and shelter and so much more.

To see what I wrote ten years ago:  https://itsallfromhashem.blogspot.com/search?q=yehudit+spatz



My novel, Growing With My Cousin, a good holiday read, is available at Jewish bookstores and on line at  http://www.feldheim.com/growing-with-my-cousin.html or

https://www.amazon.com/Growing-Cousin-Ester-Katz-Silvers/dp/194635113X/ or from my home.

No comments: