Friday, June 26, 2020

Impacts



There was a big, black headline on the front page of the Enterprise, stating that some Archduke Ferdinand  or other had been assassinated at a place bearing the weird name of Sarajevo, but Susan tarried not over uninteresting, immaterial stuff like that. So begins one of my favorite books, Rilla of Ingleside. Sadly, as the book progresses Susan learns just how much impact that slaying would have on her life in Prince Edward Island, miles and miles away from Austria-Hungary.

Six months or so ago the headlines about a killer virus in China began to enter my consciousness. Like the fictional Susan, though, I never dreamed what an impact that virus, miles and miles away from my home in Israel, would have on me and the whole world.

Probably the most blaring, but thankfully benign, impact is the fact that I’m at home now instead attending a family reunion that was scheduled for this week in Kansas. It was cancelled months ago along with flights, my appointment to renew my passport, and scores of other things. I’m left wondering if I’ll ever try to reschedule a trip to my birthplace.

Next week it will be thirty-four years since we made Aliyah to Israel. At that time I’d thought I was making a big, materialistic sacrifice. After all, the streets of America were paved with gold. Supermarkets and shopping malls, with their huge parking lots, were easily accessible and products were there just for the grabbing. Once living in Israel every time I visited my parents, or they visited me, I compiled long lists of things to bring from the Old Country. American cheese, Star-Kist tuna, Hanes underwear, Levi jeans, Hershey’s chocolate, and Chapstick were just a sample of the items on file.  As time went on those products, except for Chapstick, became available here or on-line.  Shopping in America had lost its appeal.

Of course, there are the wonderful national parks all over the United States. My many visits to the Grand Canyon are remembered with love. However, here in Israel, we have our Crater in Mizpe Ramon.
courtesy of timeout
Granted, it isn’t as massive but, being just five feet tall and a little over one hundred pounds, I learned early in life that big isn’t necessary better.

When we first moved to Israel our loved ones across the ocean worried that we were living in a dangerous place. Sometimes, the terror made me feel that way too, but most of the time I’d argue that in Israel our children could walk freely without fear. 
Now, to my eyes from the other side of the ocean, safety in America seems perilous.

Living in Israel several decades ago meant a significant drop in the standard of living. As we’ve become more and more of a start-up nation I don’t believe that’s still true. I know that our medical system has improved immensely and patients come from all over to be treated in our hospitals.  Two Israeli universities are ranked among the top one hundred in the Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities. We’re thirteenth place in the annual UN Happiness Report.  Although these are nice facts, they’re not the reasons I stay in Israel. I stay because this is the Land the Almighty promised to me. I’m here for spiritual reasons and all the materialistic ones are nice perks.

There are some dear people in America whom I wanted to see. That was the reason I decided to go to the family reunion but it wasn’t meant to be. I miss them, yet I’m so happy I’m here in Israel.  

As Susan learned a century ago we’re one small world. A virus in China, violence in the United States, wars, famines, and disease will all impact me sooner or later. Meanwhile, I’m thankful to feel relatively secure in the only Jewish country in the world. As I pray for health and well-being for all, I pray that my loved ones will realize how many blessings we have here in the Holy Land. I pray that the impact of the last few months will convince them to make aliyah. I pray I’ll be here to welcome them when they come home.


No comments: