Friday, December 20, 2019

One Step At a Time

Our Sages teach that every step one takes in the Holy Land is a fulfillment of a Divine commandment. With this in mind, my husband and I joined a hiking group specifically for, using the politically correct term, senior citizens. The goal of our group is to eventually complete the Israel Trail.

What is the Israel Trail? Established a couple of decades earlier it’s a marked path, more than one thousand kilometers long, from the northernmost point of Israel all the way to Eilat, crossing parts of the country’s center on its way. Our group travels by bus to various trailheads and we trek for eight to twelve kilometers every time we go on an outing. We need to stay healthy and ambulatory for a long time if, indeed, we’ll be able to complete the entire trail.


I love hiking! There are so many things to notice when getting out of the car, off a bicycle, or down from a horse, that one normally wouldn’t see. It’s a time to enjoy nature, converse with my husband and friends, and challenge myself physically.

Recently we were slated to hike the Alexander Stream near Hadera and continue the trail along the Mediterranean. There was a problem though. Thanks to the bountiful rainfall the previous week the trail entrance was flooded. So we got back on the bus to travel to a second trailhead. Once again, however, we found it overrun with water. Everything is for the best we assured our sheepish guide. He appreciated our support as he herded us, once again, back on to the bus to travel to northern Netanya.

Finally we had success and began our trek next to the sea. It was soothing to watch the waves come close to me and then recede. It was humbling to know that there were countless creations just over the horizon.  It was mystifying to think of all the wonders HaShem had made.

As we walked along I thanked Him for the privilege of living in such a beautiful country. Millions of tourists come to Israel every year. For many it’s a one-time visit and if part of their itinerary doesn’t work out they’ve missed out. I know that sooner or later, if I want to badly enough, I can easily return to the Alexander Stream with the group or on my own.

I also know that most people appreciate their homeland as much as I do. Perhaps I value mine more because I wasn’t born here but chose to live in the Land HaShem promised our forefathers. He could have given us any place in the world. He chose the Land of Israel. I’m grateful He picked such a beautiful spot.




2 comments:

Batya said...

How nice. I haven't been much of a hiker, but I do walk a lot.

Ariela ben-Eliezer said...

do those walking sticks really help?