Thursday, October 31, 2019

Navigating the Pitfalls of the World



My parents had ruined my life. I sat in the darkened living room moping as only an eleven-year-old can mope. I was oblivious to reason. There was no way I could show my face outside the house. Even if no one said anything to my face everyone would think I was a baby.


Just what had my mother and father done that was so terrible? They’d informed me, shortly before it was time to leave to my cousin’s movie and sleep-over party, that I couldn’t participate in the movie part. Their reason was so humiliating. They’d made a rule, a stupid rule as far as I was concerned, that I couldn’t go to any of the downtown movie theaters after dark without an adult chaperone. The movie was downtown, it was after nightfall, and neither my aunt nor my uncle would be accompanying us.

They were resolute in their decision. I was adamant that I’d never recover from the embarrassment they were causing me. Finally, finally I allowed myself to be coaxed into attending the slumber party once the movie was over. It was no mean feat to enter my cousin’s house and listen to everyone talk about the movie. Just as I’d feared one of the girls made a disparaging comment. Everyone else ignored the subject, though, and after a little time I was able to move on.

My parents, like so many others, walked a tightrope between being too over-protective and letting me face real or perceived dangers. Looking back I marvel at some of the activities they did allow me to do.

How could they have let me go door-to-door all by myself selling Camp Fire candies? Was it just because my canvassing was done during the daylight hours they felt it was safe? I was traumatized once when I knocked on the door of a house around the corner. Too late I remembered that other kids in the neighborhood had warned me to stay away from that particular house. The man inside was weird. Exactly what weird meant I wasn’t sure. He’d opened the door so quickly that I’d had no time to run away after realizing my mistake. Thankfully, he didn’t grab me and pull me inside. Still he’d kept a conversation going for longer than I would have liked, especially since he didn’t buy any candy. With a hammering heart I stuttered that I had to go home and I did. I never told my parents about the “weird” man. Would they have let me continue to sell candy if I had?

Halloween night always had its share of rules. Once I was old enough to go trick or treating with just friends I had boundaries and curfews. Once home I had to toss any treats that weren’t sealed. In other words, no candy apples or popcorn balls for me.

It’s been more than three decades since I’ve lived in America. Do girls still sell Camp Fire candies or Girl Scout cookies door-to-door? Are children allowed to trick-or-treat at strangers’ doors? Like others I wonder if the dangers the children of today face are more common than what I faced as a child or if we just know about them more than we did back then. Were my parents paranoid or ahead of their times with their rules? Did they understand those rules weren’t foolproof?

Raising children has never been easy. A quick look at the first chapters of the Torah confirm this. In my opinion, however, the times we’re living in are especially difficult ones to be a parent. It’s my prayer that all the children will navigate the many pitfalls of the world and reach adulthood healthy and well in both body and soul. It’s my responsibility as a citizen of the world to look out for all of them.


courtesy of etsy.com


No comments: