Monday, April 15, 2019

Old Friends



It’s that time of the year again. Soon I’ll be unpacking my Pesach treasures. Along with the treasures will be memories of those who gave them to me.

There are the wooden bowls, a wedding gift from my aunt who passed away ten years ago at the age of about one hundred. Another wedding present was the Lenox Seder plate, presented to me by three of my closest, non-Jewish high-school friends. I think fondly of them every year as I place it on the table. I also remember my in-laws with love as I fill the wine decanter taken from their home before they died. We were still newlyweds when my parents gave us the set of twelve wine glasses. Now that there are only two left, they are even more precious to me.

Nowadays many advise me not to bother buying presents, rather to go to weddings, Bar or Bat Mitzvahs, and other celebrations with my checkbook. Or better yet with my credit card. Many halls have the machines set up so one can just swipe the card to the amount one wants to give. The only thought I’d have to put into the process is how much I want to give and all the effort it will take is for me to attach my signature.

Sometimes I’m tempted to do just that but it seems so impersonal. Someone has taken the trouble to invite me to join in their special occasion. I like to imagine what they could possibly unwrap that would bring a smile to their face. True, sometimes my imagination is way off-base and that’s why there are exchange slips.

I will continue to shop for my presents. I like to think that most of the time I am on target. I like to imagine that some forty years from now there will be those I once cared about looking at the gift I gave them and remembering me fondly.   


No comments: