Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Temper Tantrums

courtesy of ravenfoundation.org


According to my mother, may she rest in peace, I only threw a temper tantrum once when I was a child. She and my father were on their way to Friday evening services at their Reform Temple. Apparently I hadn’t behaved well the week before and they’d hired a babysitter to take care of me. I hadn’t liked that idea at all and as they were leaving I collapsed face down in front of the door with my legs kicking and fists beating the carpet. My parents ignored my outburst as they stepped over me leaving me, their wailing child, to the ministrations of the poor sitter.


Somehow, knowing my parents I doubt they’d been as cavalier as my mother made it sound. Most probably they worried the whole time they were gone, wondering how long my tantrum had lasted. I have no recollection of that scene. In fact, I don’t remember any temper tantrums at all. That’s not to say I never tried to manipulate my parents. I’m sorry to say I was an expert at nagging, sulking, and pouting.

Some eighty years ago an expert at temper tantrums appeared on the scene in Europe. One doesn’t have to understand German when looking at old newsreels to know that Adolph Hitler was always ranting and raving about something. Sometimes it was breathing room, other times it was Alsace Lorraine, but usually it was about the Jews. Instead of ignoring his rages the world tried to appease him over and over again until there was no longer any way to mollify him. Not only were six million Jews murdered in his Holocaust, over fifty million soldiers and civilians died in World War Two.

Nothing in this world happens by chance so I don’t find it surprising that in the weeks leading up to the day the world has marked as Holocaust Remembrance Day there are hundreds throwing temper tantrums on the Israel-Gaza border.  Some reporters label those rioters as non-violent demonstrators. I have to wonder at their definition of non-violent. For I view rocks, firebombs, explosives, burning tires, and attempts to storm my border as aggressive acts of battle.

Of course, the easy solution to the problems in Gaza is to demand that Israel make concessions and changes. We’re a reasonable country and do desire peace. However, we have a long history and have learned pacifying and accommodation, although they are nice sounding words, often bring war.

As the world marks the tragedies of the Holocaust we need to learn some lessons of the recent past. We have to ignore the demands of those throwing the temper tantrums. We’ve had enough wars. Hamas in Gaza can nag, pout, and sulk. The time has come to make them accountable for their decisions and behavior.  The time has come to have true peace.  


No comments: