Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Malfunctioning Freezer


Every evening I recite Adon Olam, proclaiming that HaShem is the Master of the universe. Come morning I repeat Yigdal, recognizing that HaShem gives to each person according to his deeds. I truly believe that after creating me HaShem stayed involved with my life and whatever He does is for my good. And yet….

Each summer I begin looking ahead to Rosh Hashanah. I plan my menus for the two, sometimes three, day holiday and decide what can be made ahead and frozen. Then I get to work. I prepare pie shells, brown chickens, bake kugels, and generally fill up my freezer to capacity. This year was no exception. In fact, the freezer was so full that it was hard to close the door. So, when I came home from a five-day vacation and found that the freezer door had been open and a number of things had defrosted I was not shocked.
That does not mean I was not upset. Why had HaShem let it happen? Didn’t He know that I was planning on inviting a lot of guests to share our Yom Tov meals? Wasn’t I trying to be a good person by cooking ahead so I could go to Torah classes before Rosh Hashanah? Was I supposed to stand on my feet in the kitchen the whole day before Rosh Hashanah? Wouldn’t I be too tired to pray with concentration on the holiday?
Of course, I can’t know what HaShem thinks or decides. I can only try to learn from the lessons He throws me. I think I needed to be reminded that I am not in charge.  In my opinion there is nothing wrong with being organized and prepared. My mistake was to think I was in total control. It took the malfunctioning freezer to remind me who the real Boss is.
In the end I was able to salvage most of the food, although some of it had to go to the dog. It was a small price to pay for a very important lesson.
May all of you be sealed for a good year; a year of health, happiness, service to HaShem, and true peace.

 

No comments: