Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Chodesh Tov! May the month of Tammuz come with blessings for all.

Seven years ago I married off my oldest son in the month of Tammuz. That same week my dear cousin, Harold, died of cancer. Those two events symbolize Tammuz for me. It is full of joy and full of sorrow. Historically, it was during Tammuz that HaShem made the miracle of the sun and moon standing still during the battle in the valley of Ayalon, allowing Yehoshua to lead Israel to victory against the Amorites. It was on the seventeenth of Tammuz that Moshe broke the Ten Commandments when he descended from Mt. Sinai and saw the people worshipping the Golden Calf. Years later, on that same day, the enemy breached the walls of Jerusalem prior to the destruction of the second Holy Temple. It became a fast day and the day that begins the three weeks of serious mourning leading up to the ninth of Av, the saddest day of the year.
In recent history it was in Tammuz that the Israeli government geared up for the demolition of Gush Katif. This year, as we enter Tammuz, we are praying that the dreadful decree against the Ulpana Neighborhood in Beit El will somehow be annulled.
Jewish life, like Tammuz, is full of joy and sorrow. And so it is with my magazine. Some of my stories are joyful, others are sorrowful. It is my hope that they touch your heartstrings and you share them with others. This month I have made a change. Instead of posting four articles every Rosh Chodesh I plan to post one a week.  Enjoy and remember: It IS All From HaShem.

No comments: