Monday, April 4, 2011

Another Look at Terror, Written on 23rd of Adar Bet, March 29

Another Look at Terror
Written on 23rd of Adar Bet, March 29
When I wrote, “I can continue to serve HaShem with joy,” in Thoughts on the Horror in Itamar, I meant the words wholeheartedly. However, it is not always easy to stay positive. When children in Itamar have nightmares about Arabs murdering children I am angry. When there is a terror attack in the middle of Jerusalem I am full of dread. And when there is a suspicion of an Arab infiltrator in Shilo on Shabbat evening I long for revenge.  
I refuse to dwell on the negative, though. Instead of concentrating on the nightmares I can marvel at how well the nursery school teachers handle the children in Itamar. Instead of focusing on the evil of the bus bombing I can appreciate that four different people sent me emails with the names of the injured so I could pray for them. Instead of fantasizing about revenge I can use that energy to begin Pesach preparations.
When my resolutions turn difficult, and they often do, I can look at the letter I have hanging on my refrigerator.
Dear Family! We, the Greenfields (not the real name) from Sderot want to support you in your difficult time. It is known that the Land of Israel is obtained with painful tests, and in each period there are those that pay for these tests with their lives. It is important to us that you know that your pain is our pain and with G-d’s help we will merit the full redemption, and your happiness will be our happiness.  May we hear only good news, may you have salvation and comfort. 
The letter is signed with the names of the “Greenfield” family members. My son found it along with a cake on his doorstep the Friday before Purim. I have no idea who the “Greenfield” family is, if they are young or middle aged, immigrants or native born Israelis, rich or poor. What I do know is that they made the effort to make a trip of over eighty miles to express their caring to my son, his family, and his neighbors.  I am so grateful to them!
I am grateful to the “Greenfields” and the dozens of others who came to Itamar from far away to express their support. They have shown me that we are indeed capable of being One People. So when I am overwhelmed with negative thoughts I can look at the letter and remember to be positive.
Please pray for the following victims of yesterday’s Jerusalem bombing:
Odelia Nechama bat Michal - suffered serious head injuries and is in intensive care. Her life is still in danger.
Natan Daniel ben Shulamit - a 17-year-old student who is in serious condition.  He suffered massive internal injuries and has had a number of internal organs removed. 
Leah Bracha bat Shoshana - is a 19-year-old seminary student.  She suffered burns to her legs and arms as well as serious shock.
David Amoyal - David is the owner of the snack stand next to the bus stop.  He told everyone to run away and then called the police, and was on the phone with them when the bomb exploded.  He suffered injuries to his legs and feet and lower body.  He is in moderate condition.
Sasson ben Shulamit - This is the second time Sasson has been injured in a terrorist attack in Jerusalem.  He suffered lower body injuries and serious post-traumatic symptoms.
Ad Shapira - Ad is 18 years old and just about to complete high school.  She suffered light orthopedic injuries and is in good condition in hospital.
Shilo ben Ofra - Shilo is 15 years old, and suffered burns and fractures to his legs and lower abdomen.  He is sedated in intensive care.
Daniel ben Nurit - Daniel is 13 years old, and suffered lacerations and shrapnel injuries to his lower extremities, and is likely to be released from the hospital before Shabbat.
Elchanan ben Alona - Elchanan is 14 years old, and suffered serious injuries to his feet.  One ankle and three of his toes were crushed.  He has had one operation and will require more surgery.  He will likely be in the hospital at least 2-3 weeks.
Netanel ben Shlomit - Netanel is 18 years old and works as a security guard at the bus station.  He was injured in the abdomen had surgery.  He is now recuperating in the hospital.

Please visit One Family’s website at www.OneFamilyFund.org for more updates on the injured victims of this week’s attacks.
    


No comments: