Sunday, April 7, 2024

SIX MONTHS


Last week I saw a brief report of the Pope’s Easter address in which he called for a cease-fire in the Middle East. Carelessly, I didn’t check to see if there had been more to his speech. Instead, I indignantly demanded on Facebook as to why he hadn’t called for a release of the hostages. Several of my cousins informed me he had. So, I did the responsible thing and admitted my mistake.
There are so many mistakes flying around in cyberspace. Sadly, numerous ones are anti-Israel, anti-Semitic, and full of misinformation. Today marks SIX MONTHS since Hamas terrorists invaded Israel, and in one day murdered over 1200 civilians, took more than 250 hostages, raped and tortured dozens more, and fired countless rockets on our cities. Israel retaliated, not for revenge, but for three simple goals. To get our captives back, prevent such a pogrom for ever happening again, and end the rockets.
These facts are missing from so many of the twits and posts. Instead, they focus on the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, blaming Israel instead of Hamas. However, an end to the crisis is solely in that terrorist group’s hands. They can return the hostages who have been held in captivity for SIX MONTHS and pledge to end the rocket fire on Israel. A recognition of our right to exist would go a long way also.
I was able to admit my mistake. Why can’t they? Of course, I consider myself a responsible person who truly wants true peace. Somehow, I don’t think Hamas and their supporters share my goals.

No comments: