Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Thank You


Hearts like doors will open with ease to very, very little keys and don’t forget that two of these are “I thank you” and “If you please”.
Such a sweet rhyme. I think I first heard from my mother but I can’t be sure. What I do know is that she was an expert model of appreciation. Nothing illustrated that more than going out to eat with her. She’d thank the person who showed us to our table. She’d then thank whoever brought us our menu. As she’d placed her order she prefaced it with a please and once the food came she’d repeat her thanks.
My father was no different. I remember our weekly Sunday excursions to gas up the car. Back then we went to a service station and that was exactly what we received, service. Not only was the gas tank filled, the windows washed, the oil checked, and the inside upholstery vacuumed. All was done with a smile and rewarded with my father’s gratitude.

Even in poor health my mother tried to be gracious to the medical staff. As for my father, he spent the last five days of his life in hospice. The nurses were amazed that a man so ill could manage to thank them over and over again. I try to remember that when things are not going the way I think they should.
My parents were certainly good role models for me and thank you became an intricate part of my vocabulary. I believe those two words have made me a happier, more satisfied person than I could have been without them. I have no intention on doing a master’s thesis on my theory, though, and there’s no need for me to do so. Study after study tell me that I have a better chance of having positive emotions, life satisfaction, physical and emotional health, and fewer aches and pains if I integrate appreciation into my life.
Even my prayer book advocates gratitude. The very first recitation of the day is Modeh Ani: I give thanks before You, the living and eternal G-d, restoring my soul within me with compassion is Your abundant faithfulness. It’s my personal prayer that I’ll be able to live all my days giving thanks to the One Above and showing my appreciation to all who help me here on earth. I have a lot to be thankful for, if nothing more than life itself.
The illustrated rhyme  inside Joan Walsh Anglund's "A Pocketful of Proverbs"

2 comments:

Batya said...

This post is included in A Jewish Grandmother' Blogging Isn't Dead. Take a look and meet more bloggers.

Ester said...

Thank you for including "Thank you"